Dr. Peter Damiano will be presented with the 2018 Underserved Champion Award by the Iowa Primary Care Association (Iowa PCA), which acknowledges commitment to providing access to quality, affordable health care for all Iowans.
The award recognizes Damiano's ongoing impact on the Iowa health care system, specifically regarding increased access to quality, affordable health care for all Iowans. Damiano has authored more than 200 journal articles and research monographs and has been a principal investigator on more than 75 funded research studies. his primary research focus is studying access to and the quality of primary care services, particularly dental care.
The Iowa PCA is a non-profit membership association comprised of state Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs), also known as community health centers, in serving Iowans.
The award will be presented on October 3 at the Iowa PCA's annual conference.
Previous year’s champions have included the following:
- 2017 Iowa Legal Aid
- 2016 University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics
- 2015 Joe Bolkom, State Senator
- 2014 Amanda Ragan, State Senator and Linda Upmeyer, State Representative
- 2013 Iowa Prescription Drug Corporation
- 2012 Delta Dental of Iowa Foundation
- 2011 Jennifer Vermeer, Director, Iowa Medicaid Enterprise
- 2010 Bruce Braley, U.S. Congressman
- 2009 Chris Atchison, University of Iowa
- 2008 Ro Foege, State Representative
- 2007 Dave Heaton, State Representative and Jim Leach, U.S. Congressman
- 2006 Jack Hatch, State Senator
- 2005 Dr. Bery Engebretsen, Executive Director, Primary Health Care, Inc.
- 2004 Tom Harkin, U.S. Senator