In this lunch and learn event, Fred Boehmke, Director of the Iowa Social Science Research Center (ISRC) will lead a conversation with attendees from the Public Policy Center (PPC) about the ISRC. The ISRC currently offers data collection services, workshops, statistical consulting, and grant development. They would like to hear from you about ideas for new services that they might provide.
Possible topics include.
- Social science workshops – coordinate a regular interdisciplinary social science workshop series, likely centered on research methods.
- Support for preparing and submitting replication data for grants and publications.
- Expand support for qualitative data and software via workshops and consulting.
- Create an equipment lending library that might include access to, e.g., transcription software and foot pedals, audio or video recorders for checkout.
- Organize and support social science grant writing workshops – these could be themed for collaboration by topics or just a time and space for folks to come and write together.
- Organize research writing groups – find a time and space for folks to drop in write.
- Develop and market a shared survey – faculty could buy space for their questions on a collaborative survey. For example, the ISRC could organize a random sample phone survey of adult Iowans with basic demographic questions and 8 (noncollaborating) researchers might place 5 questions each on it for 1/8 the cost of running their own survey.
Lunch will be provided. RSVP to Erin Gallagher by Monday, May 20.