Road Safety & Simulation Conference:
The Road Safety and Simulation (RSS) conference series was established in Rome in 2007 and, since then, has provided a bi-annual platform for researchers and professionals from various disciplines to share expertise and the latest insights in the field of road safety and simulation. RSS2019 will be held 14-17 October 2019 in Iowa City, Iowa, USA. Iowa City and the University of Iowa are home to some of the most advanced transportation safety simulators in the world, all of which are participating in RSS2019. Some of these simulation centers and laboratories include: National Advanced Driving Simulator, Hank Virtual Environments Laboratory (bicycle and pedestrian), Visual Intelligence Laboratory, Operator Performance Laboratory (flight), ATV, and Virtual Soldier.
Call for Abstracts:
We welcome abstracts on any of the conference topics that present original research not published or presented prior to the RSS2019 conference. Abstracts are due by 1 February 2019. Abstracts are limited to 1 page and should follow the RSS2019 abstract template format.
Submitted abstracts will be reviewed by the Technical and Scientific Committee. Individual abstracts will receive at least two reviews. Abstract review criteria will include:
- Relevance to RSS2019 audience and topics
- Sufficient description of research for review decision
Transformations in Transportation
Technology is transforming transportation at an accelerated rate, introducing radical shifts in the roles of all roadway users. Increasing levels of automation, connected vehicles, and roads users connected through cell phone applications and other media devices are just a few examples of developments (or changes) on the horizon (that are becoming realities).
Conference topics include, but are not limited to:
- Automated Vehicles Technology - Road users' responses to, interactions with, and perceptions of automated vehicles, augmented reality, and in-vehicle safety systems
- Connected Vehicles Technology - User responses to, interactions with, and perceptions of connected vehicles technology (e.g., V2V, V2P, I2B)
- Vulnerable Road Users - Interactions between types of road users and risk factors for collisions with vehicles (e.g., transportation workers, bicyclists, children, and the elderly)
- Roadway Infrastructure Design - Safety of drivers', bicyclists', and pedestrians' interactions with roadway infrastructure designs
- Distributed Simulation Technology - Understanding real-time traffic conflicts between drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians through connected simulation
Abstract authors determined to be of interest and high quality will be invited to submit a full paper for presentation at the conference. Following abstract acceptance, full papers should be submitted following the RSS2019 paper template format. Full papers are due 1 May 2019.
Please note that full papers must include research results in order to be considered for paper review. On-going studies that present preliminary results at this stage, but can guarantee to present the full results by the conference date, will also be considered for paper review.
Full paper submissions will be peer reviewed by the Technical and Scientific Committee. Review assignments will be based on area of expertise. Each paper will be assigned to three reviewers who will provide feedback on the paper content and recommendations on paper acceptance. Accepted papers will be selected either for oral presentation or poster presentation. Review criteria include:
- Paper structure
- Research methodology
- Validity of results
- Scientific contribution
Paper authors will be asked to revise papers based on reviewer comments and submit a final paper for inclusion in the conference proceedings. During submission, authors have various options regarding inclusion in conference proceedings and consideration for special issues.
- Abstracts are due by 1 February 2019
- Notification of abstract acceptance is 1 March 2019
- Full papers are due 1 May 2019
- Notification of paper acceptance is 1 July 2019
- Final paper and confirmation to present is 15 August 2019
More details on RSS2019 and templates can be found at www.rss2019.org.